Finding an Attorney in Your State
If you’re looking for an attorney in start with the your State Bar Association. What is a State Bar Association? A State Bar Association is an organization that certifies lawyers to practice law in each state. Generally, attorneys will take a bar exam that tests their legal knowledge. Upon passing the exam the attorney is allowed to practice law in the state. This testing process is good for the general public as you know you will be dealing with an attorney who is qualified. State Bar Associations have online directories of attorneys and so if you’re looking for an attorney you may want to go the state bar website.
Finding an Attorney with the State Bar Association Website
To use the state bar association website to find a lawyer click on the “For the Public” tab. This opens a directory of attorneys in Arizona. One of the problems in using a State Bar Association website to find an attorney is that it can be time consuming. The website is often used for other purposes such as communicating to lawyers, doing public relations and marketing to the general public. So you may have to do some searching and spend sometime looking through the site.
How to use the State Bar Association Website to Find a Lawyer
- Find the state bar association website.
- Find the section that pertains to the general public.
- Look for a directory of attorneys. You will want to look for attorneys by location and by specialty.
- Once you find an attorney that is close to you or in the area you want, find their phone number.
- Call the attorney. You will generally get someone to answer your call immediately. Attorneys use the phone a lot and typically a receptionist will answer your call immediately. In the rare cases where you go to voicemail the attorney will generally get back to you in the same day.
- Tell the attorney your name and your problem. Ask them if they can help or if this is the type of situation they handle.
- The attorney will be able to make a decision with 60 seconds or less. Sometimes the attorney will want to speak with you in person first before deciding to take you as a client. This first consultation or meeting may be at no charge to you. This is because the attorney is using this time to figure out if they can help you or not.